Thursday, October 24, 2013

{♥ knitting} - learning a "new stitch a day"

Sunshine Day Baby Throw - My First Blanket
Last December my daughter Katie (15) taught me how to knit and I fell in love with it. It's a calming activity for me - something I need. I knitted quite a few scarves and even made a baby blanket, for a friend's baby, that I was really proud of - pretty awesome for my first try!

I took some time off of knitting during the summer months, I guess it was too hot and I had enough stuff going on already. But now I am back at it and really wanting learn new stitches, techniques, and the knitting lingo. I've been watching lots of videos on YouTube from New Stitch a Day - they rock!!! The tutorials are so great and easy to follow plus there are just a ton of them. I also just ordered this book from Amazon, which was recommended to me and I'm excited to get.

So I decided, that the funnest way to learn some new stitches was to make a patchwork afghan!!! I have read a couple of different theories/instructions on how to do it. I'm kinda just doing it my own way and am 3 squares into it now. The first square (top) in knitted using the stockinette stitch using size US 4/3.5mm needles, the second (middle) was a stockinette stitch too but with a heavier yarn and size US 10.5/6.5mm needles, and the third (bottom) I knitted using the garter stitch and size US 10.5/6.5mm needles again.
The First 3 Squares - Patchwork Blanket
I'm struggling a bit with the sizing because I'm a newbie but I am not going to worry about it. I read this tutorial about knitting a 'swatch afghan' and their squares are no where near all even and it works out for them.

Since I am trying to learn new stitches, and I have already knitted the stitches that I know, I thought I would just go ahead and do an alphabetic kind of thing. I found a stitch pattern glossary and am starting with the first stitch listed, the Andalusian Stitch. I'll let you know how it goes.

As always, I love answering questions and/or getting feedback - so please feel free to leave a comment. Thanks for reading. {quirks}

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing your comments | questions | feedback...